Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Spicy Roasted Chickpeas | Photographer at Home

I've made the ultimate decision and left the world of photography to become a chef instead. 

Sike, sike, sike! 

My stress levels can't handle working in a kitchen with other people. I'm not lying. I get claustrophobic and panicky when my boyfriend tries to come in the kitchen and help me cook. I like to keep it simple ... ingredients, appliances, wine, and music. If you toss anything else into that mix it throws me completely off. All in all, I love cooking. Alone. It's my time to escape and create something outside of  Photoshop.

Well, I've had these chickpeas sitting in my cupboard for a couple of months now just knowing that I would find the most amazing thing to do with them that wasn't hummus related. Nothing against hummus. I love the stuff, but one can of chickpeas makes a lot of it. For me, at least. Anyways, while I was skimming the endless pins on Pinterest this morning while still in my pj's and drinking my 3rd cup of coffee I found that "thing" ... you know ... that "thing" to do with the chickpeas. Spicy, crunchy, and healthy. My three favorite food characteristics!!!

The original post came from Kelly over at the Eat Yourself Skinny blog. I don't know what's up with the side pic of her and her dog ... maybe he's she's blocking him from her face because he's a licker or a burper ... either way he's cute and she has some yummy dishes AND drinks on there that y'all should try out!

I only had one can of chickpeas and I love my spicy stuff to be eye-watering-lips-burning-tongue-swelling spicy, so I just eyeballed everything. I did add in some garlic powder, though.

Here's her original recipe  with the nutritional content and some pictures I took in the process :)


Servings: 6
Serving Size: 1/3 cup
Calories: 141
Fat: 4 g
Carbs: 2 g
Fiber: 5 g
Protein: 6 g
Old Points: 2 pts
Points+: 3 pts
______________________________

Here are your ingredients:

1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 1/2 tsp. chili powder
1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
2 (15.5 oz.) cans chickpeas, rinsed, drained and patted dry

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.  Arrange racks in top and bottom thirds of oven.  Stir together oil, chili powder, cumin, salt and cayenne in a large bowl.  Add chickpeas and toss to coat.  Divide chickpeas between two large rimmed baking sheets.  Bake, shaking pans occasionally and rotating pans from top to bottom shelves after 20 minutes, until chickpeas are browned and crisp, about 35 to 40 minutes.  Serve warm or at room temperature.




This snack cost, like, $0.62 to make and is something you'd find at Whole Foods for $5.99!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Y'all go make it and enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment