Sunday, April 25, 2010

Giving something back...

This something is my time, not Moose! I know quite a few people that would be upset if I gave this dog to anyone, but them!!! Now to my story :) Ever since I was a child I have had a deep connection with animals. We almost always lived out of city limits and, therefore, had quite a few cats and dogs on our property. At times we also had ducks, chickens, parakeets, a rooster, a bunny, a snake, tons of fish, a couple of baby rescue squirrels and the ever popular hampsters. We never had purebred animals and not only because we didn't have a lot of money, but because in our eyes there was no point. We took in plenty of stray animals and adopted from our local shelter because those animals always seemed the most appreciative and loyal. I think that my most favorite dog, Ginger, was a sheperd mix that we found waundering the streets in Raleigh. She was the best guard dog and friend a little girl could ask for. I remember living at the beach and her walking with me to the gas station for a snack or to a little gift shop to kill some time and she would just sit right outside the store door waiting for me to come out.
Anyways, what I'm getting at is that these animals had such an affect on my life that I feel like it's my time to give back. For the past year and a half or so I have wanted to take pictures for the animal shelter and the humane society to use for petfinder.com and the local paper. Well, now that I have a little bit of time I'm going to make it happen :) A picture speaks a thousand words and I think that it's about time that these abandoned and rescued animals deserve a picture of themselves that shows that they are more than scared. All of these animals have a personality and I am determined to show you that personality!!!
These animals are in need of someone that will want to play with them on a daily basis, someone that they can rest their head on when they're sleepy, someone that will take them on vacation with them, someone that will talk to them (if you can talk to your plants then you can for sure talk to your pets!). Before going and buying that purebred give your local shelter a visit. You may just find your pet soulmate and at the same time make room for another needy animal to have their fair chance :)

No comments:

Post a Comment